COMET – Competence Centers for Excellent Technologies
SBA Research is the largest research center focusing exclusively on information security in Austria employing more than 140 people, working jointly with national and international research institutions and company partners to address pressing cyber security research issues. Our experts are regularly publishing articles in top journals and conferences like , Mathematics of Computation, Theoretical Computer Science, Software Testing, Verification & Reliability, ACM CCS, IEEE S&P, ESORICS, ESWC Usenix Security, and NDSS.
Through scientific research of information security we develop practical and applicable technology solutions, while establishing mathematical foundations for various aspects of information security. Our mission is to significantly contribute to establishing trust in Networked Systems and Software by considering aspects of privacy and by investigating novel approaches like discrete mathematics. We further cover security aspects of future key areas such as Artificial Intelligence, IoT/Industry 4.0, Disaster Security, Secure Software Development and Security in Digitalization.
The center is part of the Austrian program FFG COMET (Competence Centers for Excellent Technologies).
About COMET – Funding Structure
COMET competence centers conduct cutting-edge application-oriented research at the highest level in areas that are strategically important for the Austrian economy. They develop solutions for the key issues of the future such as climate protection, digitization, mobility and health.
COMET Competence Centers are funded by the Republic of Austria – specifically the Federal Ministry for Climate Protection, Environment, Energy, Mobility, Innovation and Technology (BMK) and the Federal Ministry of Labor and Economic Affairs (BMAW) – the participating federal states, and the participating companies and research organizations. Their research activities follow a plan jointly defined by science and industry. Program management is carried out by the Austrian Research Promotion Agency FFG.
- All important information in one pdf: Download our Factsheet
SBA Success Stories
Some of the PDF files linked here are not yet accessible. We are continuously working on making these documents available in an accessible version.
- Gender Equality at SBA Research (2023)
- Secure random Numbers in Distributed Systems (2022)
- Superior Software Testing Efficiency with Quality Guarantees (2022)
- Vulnerability in Reverse Vending Machines (2022)
- Condignum: SBA Research supports innovative Security Start-Up (2021)
- Cyan security group gmbh: Innovative solutions by joint research (2020)
- Heartbalance: Hrv and health account from a single source (2020)
- Meister: trusted cloud quality certification for mindmeister and meistertask (2020)
- Secure software through combinatorial security testing (2019)
- SmartForensics: LEAP (2018)
SBA Research on Social Media
For questions regarding the COMET center please contact: